The University of California, Merced is a dynamic new university campus in Merced, California, which opened in September 2005 as the tenth campus of the University of California and the first American research university in the 21st century. In keeping with the mission of the University to provide teaching, research and public service of the highest quality, UC Merced offers research-centered and student-oriented educational opportunities at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels through three academic schools: Engineering, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences/Humanities/Arts.
The Applied Mathematics Graduate Group at UC Merced invites applications for two Visiting Assistant Professor positions for AY 2018-2019. This special (non-tenure track) position requires successful candidates to conduct research and teach 3 courses per academic year; the position is renewable for up to 3 years based on performance and subject to funding. A Ph.D. or equivalent in Applied Mathematics, Mathematics or a related field is required by the time of hire. Preference will be given to candidates at the early stage of their careers. We are seeking exceptionally qualified candidates with expertise in areas across the field of applied mathematics. Special attention will be paid to applicants who can collaborate with researchers in applied mathematics and other fields in natural sciences, engineering and/or social sciences at UC Merced. Candidates are requested to have four letters of recommendation, among which one must address teaching, submitted directly prior to the application deadline.
The University of California, Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The University is supportive of dual career couples.
Salary is commensurate with education, experience, and UC Academic salary scales.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin on Dec 1, 2017, with a final closing date of June 30, 2018. Position will remain open until filled.
Completed applications must contain:
(1) AMS cover sheet. Indicate your area of mathematical specialization.
(2) Cover letter
(4) Research statement (Summarize your research achievements and future research plans, comment on how current research environment at UC Merced can contribute to your success as a researcher).
(5) Teaching statement (Describe your teaching philosophy and practices).
(6) Diversity statement (Undergraduate students at UC Merced come from many diverse backgrounds. The diversity statement should address the question of how you see your role as a Visiting Assistant Professor contributing to encouraging and increasing the participation in mathematics of those who have been traditionally underrepresented in this field. Please describe relevant mentoring or pedagogical experiences. See more details at http://academicpersonnel.ucmerced.edu/sites/academicpersonnel.ucmerced.edu/files/page/documents/contributions_to_diversity_guidelines.pdf
(7) Three reference letters (at least one addressing teaching) which should be electronically uploaded by the letter writers (after the application is submitted instructions on reference letters submission will be provided by the application system).
Qualifications: The successful candidate will have a doctorate in Applied Mathematics, Mathematics or a closely related field by the position start date.
For more information, please contact Prof. Mayya Tokman: firstname.lastname@example.org
AMS Cover Sheet - Indicate your area of mathematical specialization
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service.
- 3 letters of reference required