Position overviewPosition title: VISTA F3 Research Communications Coordinator
Open date: August 14, 2023
Most recent review date: Monday, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Aug 9, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Valley Institute for Sustainability, Technology, and Agriculture (VISTA) is seeking a Research Communications Coordinator to support VISTA, the Farms-Food-Future Innovation Initiative (F3), and the Experimental Smart Farm (ESF). This role is central in facilitating effective communication between our research team, community advisors, and the general public. This is an excellent opportunity to engage a diversity of audiences and participants in novel science and technology related to natural resources, food systems, the Central Valley and messaging about our work. As a new organization building a new facility and serving this region, the successful applicant would have the opportunity to create the initial branding and messaging strategy.
As the Research Communications Coordinator, and under the general direction of the Executive Director, you will be required to develop and implement robust communication strategies, to create content for multimedia and news, and to coordinate messaging around science, industry and community interests. A key action will be to creatively translate complex scientific concepts into clear, accessible language for various audiences. With your excellent written and verbal communication skills, you will create a range of communication materials, including but not limited to press releases, newsletters, research reports, one-page briefs, and branded communications on behalf of VISTA. Your role will also include producing visually appealing content, such as infographics, mailchimp newsletters, invitations, and videos, to enhance engagement with our work.
Your duties will also involve the proficient use of digital communication tools and platforms, including management of social media campaigns aimed at raising awareness and engagement with our research initiatives. Additionally, you will be responsible for coordinating outreach activities and events, such as seminars, webinars, and conferences, amplifying the impact of our research within and beyond our community.
You will be in direct communication with faculty, staff, community guests, and VISTA affiliates, and tasked with providing accurate and timely responses to queries. You'll also review and update web content using web editing tools, ensuring that all communication materials are accurate and up-to-date.
Administratively, you will demonstrate a working knowledge in procedures and processes, utilizing a range of Microsoft products and the Slack platform to perform your duties efficiently. Your ability to manage generic email accounts, route responses to relevant staff, work independently, and maintain clear records will be crucial in this role.
Alternate work schedule, extended hours, and occasional travel may be required. This is an exempt position.
• A Bachelor's degree in English, Graphic Design, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or a related field.
• At least 1 year of experience in a communications role, preferably within a research or academic setting.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing communication strategies.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of researchers and community advisors
• Proven experience in using digital communication tools and platforms, and in managing social media platforms and executing social media campaigns.
• Demonstrated skill in writing logical, concise and grammatically correct documents, procedures, and instructions. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate complex scientific concepts into clear, accessible language.
• Experience in producing various types of communication materials, such as press releases, newsletters, and research reports.
• Strong visual communication skills, with experience in creating infographics, videos, and other visual content.
• Solid project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Experience in direct communication with faculty, staff, and community guests in various settings.
• Experience in coordinating outreach activities and events, such as seminars, webinars, and conferences. Ability to prepare and send branded communications such as newsletters, template e-mails, or other original communications on behalf of VISTA.
• Basic knowledge of web editing tools for updating and maintaining web pages. Experience in reviewing content and preparing routine correspondence and communications.
• Ability to ensure accurate information on all communication materials and recommend changes for improvement.
• Working knowledge in administrative procedures and processes, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Proficiency in Microsoft products, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Publisher, and Slack. Experience in managing generic email accounts and routing responses to relevant staff as needed.
• Strong active listening and critical thinking skills, alongside excellent time management and multitasking abilities.
• Ability to interface with the VISTA office, answer questions from visitors, and interact with VISTA faculty and affiliates as needed.
• Ability to work independently, maintain clear and complete records, and set priorities under conflicting demands, using team-based and transparent calendaring and clear communication
• High-level discretion and ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
• A Master's degree in Communications, Journalism, or a related field.
• Experience in science communication, translating research findings for a variety of audiences, including the general public, industry partners, and philanthropic entities.
• Demonstrated experience in writing grant proposals or requests for foundation funding.
• Proficiency in using graphic design tools and software.
• Knowledge of the latest trends and best practices in digital and social media communication.
• Previous experience in a research or academic setting, with a solid understanding of the research process.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
Please list three names of potential references and contact information.
Help contact: email@example.com
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements. This includes the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/VaccinationProgramsPolicy.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
UC Merced is a smoke & tobacco free campus (https://smokefree.ucmerced.edu/).