Undergraduate Remedial Tutor/Summer Edge Peer Learning Assistants (PLA)
Position overviewPosition title: Remedial Tutor I - Group Sessions
Open date: April 27, 2023
Most recent review date: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Jul 5, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Summer Edge Remedial Tutor/Peer Learning Assistants (PLA) play a crucial role in the success of students enrolled the 2023 Summer Edge program. In collaboration with Summer Edge faculty and leadership team, Summer Edge PLAs provide academic and personal support for Summer Edge scholars enrolled in accelerated college Computer Science, Mathematics, Chemistry, or Writing courses.
As facilitators in small discussion sections, PLAs will lead Summer Edge scholars in activities and discussions to supplement their courses and ensure all scholars are receiving the support needed for success. PLAs will be assigned to discussion sections based on qualifications and program need. For more information regarding the Summer Edge program, please review our website: https://summeredge.ucmerced.edu/.
- Collaborate with Summer Edge instructors and leadership team to design activities/discussions for Summer Edge scholars
- Facilitate activities/discussions in weekly Zoom sessions with Summer Edge scholars
- Attend weekly Zoom meetings with instructors and leadership team
- Perform group tutoring and mentoring
- Maintain and submit records, including data for program evaluation and assessment of student learning
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High proficiency in Computer Science, Mathematics, Chemistry, or Writing
- Available to work from June 26th to August 12th
- Participation in mandatory training starting on June 26th (times TBD)
- Participation in mandatory weekly staff meetings (times TBD)
- Willingness to work between 5 and 20 hours per week, based on program need.
Salary is based on an hourly rate of $25.42 and is based on the UC academic salary scales. See Table 20 for more info.
Review of applications will begin 5/31/2023. Recruitment will remain open until all positions have been filled.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. The applicable deadline for student employees is the deadline for students. For students starting or returning to campus after Fall 2021, the deadline is the first date of instruction for the term when they first enroll.
- Completion (with a B or higher) of CSE 05: Intro Computer Applications, Math 005: Preparatory Calculus, Chemistry 001: Preparatory Chemistry, or WRI 10: Reading & Composition
- Good academic and judicial standing
- Effective communication skills with peers, faculty, and staff (both oral and written)
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with campus resources and how to access them
- Ability to work with and support diverse student populations
- Previous or current employment as an undergraduate tutor in the PLUS Center, STEM Tutoring Hub, Instructional Learning Assistant Program, and/or University Writing Center
- Previous experience with the Summer Edge program
- Good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
Resume/Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated Resume/C.V.
Cover Letter - In your cover letter, please identify which discipline you are most qualified to support (Computer Science, Math, Chemistry, or Writing) and describe any previous experiences and/or coursework that have prepared you for this type of position.
- 1 required (contact information only)
Help contact: email@example.com
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
UC Merced is a smoke & tobacco free campus (https://smokefree.ucmerced.edu/).