Dean of Extension
Position overviewPosition title: Dean of Extension
Open date: November 9, 2022
Most recent review date: Monday, Jan 30, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Nov 9, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Merced invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of Extension. This is an administrative position that reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost. The new Dean of Extension will join the campus at a transformational moment for Merced and its community.
University of California, Merced
UC Merced (UC Merced) is a start-up, the tenth, and newest campus within the University of California system and has been on a remarkable trajectory since its founding in the San Joaquin Valley in 2005. UC Merced is a public land-grant research university and was established purposefully to uplift educational, health, societal, environmental, and economic outcomes, and to build civic capacity. Drawing from the community and cultural wealth of its diverse, predominantly first-generation students, UC Merced seeks to promote excellence through equity and justice and honors a broad representation of backgrounds on the campus. In a short time, UC Merced has become a top-100 institution and an R2 research enterprise. Recently, UC Merced has doubled the size of their physical campus with the nation’s largest higher education public-private partnership, substantially increased research grants awards, enrolled successive record first-year classes, and achieved record philanthropic support, including the university’s largest gift. The value of a research university stems from its ability to promote unbounded inquiry and enable its campus community and people to pursue answers to questions great and small to deepen understanding. UC Merced seeks to convene coalitions of students, staff, faculty, and community to ensure that the issues they collectively investigate and the new knowledge they create are truly appropriate to and derived from the values of all constituents.
The Dean provides leadership and overall direction for the strategic direction and operations of University Extension in the development and delivery of continuing and professional education in a diverse array of disciplines –traditional classroom settings, through online and other distance education modes and blended learning.
The Dean of Extension will oversee the academic planning of extension, contract and grant management, and university engagement activities nationally and internationally. The Dean will also lead development of campus partnerships, supervise academic and staff personnel, lead organizational and financial management, and manage contracts and grants, all while increasing the impact and quality of UC Merced Extension programs.
The Dean will continue expanding the role of UC Merced Extension in online education by working in partnership with campus academic units to develop online and hybrid-online courses; create online programs that assist campus faculty in achieving the outreach and engagement objectives of campus research grants and contracts; and support campus administrative excellence through continued production of online staff training resources. The Dean will also collaboratively partner with the campus to provide services for matriculating international students in support of the campus’ goals to internationalize the campus.
Key Opportunities and Challenges
UC Merced Extension draws upon the intellectual resources and expertise of UC Merced to address compelling educational needs in the region through Extension and Education programs of the highest quality and relevance in a diverse array of disciplines and subject areas. These programs enable the creation of effective, value-added working relationships between campus faculty and public agency scientists and managers, educational researchers, regional corporations, and non-profit community organizations. Exceptional educational programs based upon the latest research and adult learning theory and practice make a difference in the lives of the working professionals served by UC Merced Extension. Diverse areas of focus include but are not limited to business and leadership; bilingual authorization courses; middle school early outreach programs; degree completion; international student pathways; dual enrollment offerings to high school and adult agencies; credit services and professional development workshops and seminars; veteran education leadership seminar; national parks institute; and access to nature bridge facilities in Yosemite National Park. The role will initially be responsible for the Teacher Preparation Program.
The ideal candidate for the Dean of Extension is a talented leader and scholar with a keen understanding of trends impacting extension and continued learning programs in higher education as well as extended, continuing, and/or professional learning and development field. The Dean should have significant organizational leadership and administrative expertise, experience in engaging campus and community partners, and substantive contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Building on current efforts, the new Dean will have the qualifications and vision needed to continue the current growth trajectory. The ideal candidate will also have a track record of scholarship and leadership that demonstrates standards of excellence in areas related to extension. As the executive leader of a self-sustaining unit of the university, the Dean is responsible for successful and sustainable fiscal management of the division.
A graduate degree is required.
Skills and/or experience necessary:
● Demonstrated evidence of increasingly responsible administrative experience within a university or other professional/continuing education setting.
● Demonstrated creativity, and ability to articulate a vision for how to grow the reach and impact of the university into our community, draw students to UC Merced, and develop innovative ways to reach a broader and more diverse group of learners.
● Demonstrated experience in responsible financial management.
● Extensive and successful administrative experience in universities or similarly complex institutions with an emphasis on self-supporting continuing and/or professional education.
● Understanding of issues involved in effective delivery of high-quality instructional programs.
● Demonstrated ability to achieve goals through promoting collaboration and teambuilding and working cooperatively with peers, employees, faculty, and with a diverse group of campus constituencies.
● Demonstrated, expert interpersonal skills to create and maintain effective working relationships with senior administrators and a diverse range of campus constituents through collaborative processes and negotiation, and entrepreneurial and business leadership experience and skills.
● Ability to apply interpersonal communications and interactions with staff and academic personnel at all levels of an organization, as well as students and prospective students in the community, in support of complex education initiatives and issues.
● Demonstrated experience in managing staff to optimize employee and organizational productivity to fulfill changing priorities, goals and objectives.
● Demonstrated political acumen to support productive relationships with staff, academic personnel, and learners in managing and developing educational and programmatic initiatives.
● Experience working closely with faculty members and academic leaders and within a shared-governance system, or other complex, matrixed organization, to design and deliver educational programming.
● Demonstrated knowledge, and application of the University’s Philosophy of Purpose, campus Strategic Plan, and Educational Objectives.
● Ability to support and advance the campus Principles of Community.
A doctorate degree is preferred.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement on Contributions to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion - Statement on your contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion. Please review the UC Merced Diversity Statement Guidelines and UC’s Commitment to Diversity
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
Help contact: ExecutiveSearch@berkeley.edu
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
UC Merced is a smoke & tobacco free campus (https://smokefree.ucmerced.edu/).