Position overviewPosition title: Housing Fellow
Open date: April 13th, 2021
Last review date: Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Feb 28, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Housing Fellow (HF) is an academic year appointment, working 18-20 hours per week. The Housing Fellow’s primary functions are to build a safe and inclusive learning community for residents of the Living Learning Community (LLC) and to support the academic mission of the University of California, Merced and the School of Natural Sciences. Emphasis is given to mentoring first-year residents, coordinating educational programmatic initiatives, facilitating campus referrals, and coordinating campus partnerships. The Housing Fellow will work with a Faculty Advisor for the LLC and the Living Learning Community Lead of the School of Natural Sciences to develop programming relevant to their residential community. Programming will include an emphasis in community development and opportunities for individualized experiences during the Fall semester and career and major exploration during the Spring semester.
Aristotle House - Leadership, Education, Service
The Aristotle House will broadly explore the three pillars of Leadership, Education and Service in the Natural Sciences. This living and learning community (LLC) is committed to helping students hone their leadership skills, develop life-long friendships, engage in community outreach and explore careers in all facets of education. Students in this LLC are passionate about making a difference in this world through active leadership, education and service.
HF Key Responsibilities:
• Develop and coordinate LLC-specific learning and networking activities
• Support campus-wide events, including Welcome Week, Move-In Day, Homecoming, and Bobcat Day
• Lead instruction of two sections of a one-unit first year seminar for LLC scholars each semester
• Meet weekly with LLC Lead, Assistant Director of Residence Education, and Residence Life Coordinator to address LLC concerns
• Facilitate student referrals to campus services and resources
• Host weekly drop-in office hours in the residence halls
• Coordinate small group tutoring and study sessions among residents
• Coordinate social activities for the LLC residents with the assistance of the Residential Assistant
• Maintain and submit records, including data for program evaluation and student learning assessment
• Meet bi-weekly with Natural Sciences and Residence Education staff to discuss and address community concerns
• Communicate regularly with other House Fellows to share experiences and best practices
• Participate in teaching, mentoring, and intervention best practices workshops as provided
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications (must meet all listed qualifications):
• Must be a registered UC Merced PhD student in full-time residence (registered for 12 units per term appointed)
• Academically eligible to hold the appointment (per UC Merced's Graduate Policies & Procedures Handbook)
• Advancement to candidacy for the doctorate and at least 2 years of teaching experience, including that of a TA, (exceptions may be considered)
• Qualified candidates will have familiarity with residence hall communities
• Skills in collaboration, judgement and decision-making; Ability to identify problems and implement flexible, creative solutions
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including active listening
• Ability to balance and maintain multiple, competing priorities
Specifics to this position:
• Due to the nature of the role, some weekends and evenings are expected, but will be communicated ahead of time.
• House Fellows are eligible for a $500 discount on a shared 2-bedroom on-campus apartment. These accommodations are optional and can be accessed through an independent contract with the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Please state in your letter of intent if you intend to live in an on-campus apartment or if you intend to find your own housing off-campus.
• House Fellows will receive a Commuter 50 meal plan.
• The Housing Fellow will receive a 50% Teaching Fellow appointment, salary is based on an annual full-time salary of $52,921.00. House Fellows will not be appointed for more than 50% time during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Housing Fellows will be hired under a Teaching Fellow Payroll Title. The University of California Teaching Fellows are represented by the UAW-AFL-CIO. https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/bx/index.html
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
UC Merced is a smoke & tobacco free campus (https://smokefree.ucmerced.edu/).
Resume - Your most recently updated resume.
Letter of Intent
Letter of Support - Letter of support from current faculty advisor.
Copy of Transcripts (unofficial)