Open March 4th, 2020 through Friday, May 21, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
The Housing Fellow (HF) is an academic year, live-in position working 18-20 hours per week. The Housing Fellow’s primary functions are to build a safe and inclusive learning community for residents of the Living Learning Community (LLC) and to support the academic mission of the University of California, Merced and the School of Natural Sciences. Emphasis is given to mentoring first-year residents, coordinating educational programmatic initiatives, facilitating campus referrals, and coordinating campus partnerships. The Housing Fellow will work with a Faculty Advisor for the LLC and the Living Learning Community Lead of the School of Natural Sciences to develop programming relevant to their residential community. Programming will include an emphasis in community development and opportunities for individualized experiences during the Fall semester and career and major exploration during the Spring semester.
Carson House - Sustainable Futures
Carson House provides a once-in-a-generation opportunity to explore sustainability to preserve an economic, social, and environmental way of living for future generations. Our community engages with local and on-campus ventures related to food waste, energy efficiency, and community education.
HF Key Responsibilities:
• Develop and coordinate LLC-specific learning and networking activities
• Support campus-wide events, including Welcome Week, Move-In Day, Homecoming, and Bobcat Day
• Lead instruction of two sections of a one-unit first year seminar for LLC scholars each semester
•Meet weekly with LLC Lead, Director of Housing, and Residence Life Coordinator to address LLC concerns
• Facilitate student referrals to campus services and resources
• Host five hours of weekly drop-in office hours in the residence halls
• Coordinate small group tutoring and study sessions among residents
• Coordinate social activities for the LLC residents with the assistance of the
• Maintain and submit records, including data for program evaluation and student learning assessment
• Meet bi-weekly with Natural Sciences and Housing and Residence Life staff to discuss and address community concerns
• Communicate regularly with other House Fellows to share experiences and best practices
• Participate in teaching, mentoring, and intervention best practices workshops as provided
• Other duties as assigned
Housing Fellows will be hired under a Teaching Assistant Payroll Title. The University of California Teaching Assistants are represented by the UAW-AFL-CIO. https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/bx/index.html
Qualifications (must meet all listed qualifications):
• Must be a registered UC Merced PhD student in full-time residence (registered for 12 units per term appointed)
• Academically eligible to hold the appointment (per UC Merced's Graduate Policies & Procedures Handbook)
• Qualified candidates will have familiarity with residence hall communities
• Skills in collaboration, judgement and decision-making; Ability to identify problems and implement flexible, creative solutions
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including active listening
• Ability to balance and maintain multiple, competing priorities
Interested applicants are required to submit:
• Letter of Intent
• Letter of Support from current faculty advisor
• Copy of transcripts (unofficial)
Due to the position expectations, the selected candidate’s Room & Board will be provided during the term of the appointment. In addition, the Housing Fellow will receive a 50% Teaching Assistant appointment, salary is based on an annual full-time salary of $43,823.00.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
Resume - Your most recently updated resume.
Letter of Intent
Letter of Support - Letter of support from current faculty advisor.
Copy of Transcripts (unofficial) - Copy of Transcripts (unofficial)