Open January 23rd, 2020 through Friday, May 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
University of California, Merced Extension invites applications for the position of Director of Education Programs for University Extension. This is a senior administrative and teaching position that reports to the Dean and Director of Extension. Direct reports include: TPP Associate Director, TPP Credential Analyst and course instructors.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and invites applications from all qualified applicants, including women, minorities, veterans, and individual with disabilities, who will enrich the teaching, research and public service missions of the university. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, see: UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy (https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/DiscHarassAffirmAction).
ABOUT UNIVERSITY EXTENSION
Extension, founded in 2015, is committed to offering access to quality academic, professional and personal enrichment opportunities in a variety of delivery methods to meet the needs of continuing students, professionals and modern learners, at the Downtown Campus Center and on the main campus. Extension strives to make research and discovery real and applicable in the daily lives of people in the community and region. Extension currently offers access to regular academic courses, noncredit, professional development courses and personal enrichment courses in a variety of formats including face to face, hybrid and fully online.
The Director of Extension Education Programs will lead and manage UC Merced Extension efforts related to the field of education, including but not limited to, the Teacher Preparation Program, the Child Development and Care Certificate Program, including Dual Enrollment, and Extension credit services in support of the regional PK-12 education community.
The Director leads the development, implementation, management, accreditation and assessment for UC Merced Extension Education Programs in keeping with the instruction, research and community service mission of UC Merced.
In this capacity, the Director collaborates with regional accrediting agencies (example: WSCUC, CTC), UC Teacher Preparation deans and directors, senate faculty, the CalTeach Program, school districts throughout the region and state, and individual educators from both public and private K-12 institutions.
The Director is responsible for recruiting instructors and academic staff for Extension Education Programs, and will develop, recruit, and facilitate advisory boards for Extension Education Programs consisting of representation from UC Merced faculty and/or administration and the regional K-12 education community.
The Director will teach at least two courses per year to maintain a direct connection to the programs.
This is a full-time, 12 month contract position, subject to renewal.
Review of applications will begin immediately. The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled with a final close date of May 1, 2020.
Required Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, and Competencies:
• An EdD or PhD in education or a related field, OR a Master’s degree in education or related field AND a California Clear Credential and at least five years’ experience in a leadership position;
• A successful record in teaching, scholarship, and service consistent with the expectations of a senior administrator in a teacher preparation program or academic department;
• Demonstrated academic leadership and management skills;
• Proven experience as a leader in the creation, management and assessment of academic programs;
• Experience with state funded and legislatively mandated programs for educators.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, and a commitment to working in positive collaboration with students, staff, internal partners and the campus community; and
• Appreciation for the mission and responsibilities of a university serving a diverse state and a demonstrated personal commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
• California Clear Credential;
• Ed.D. or Ph.D. in education or related field;
• Experience working at a University of California campus;
• Experience writing grants for the purposes of scholarship and/or student support funding;
• Familiarity with, and/or experience working in, the field of teacher education;
• Familiarity with the organizational structure and governance of the University of California; and
• Knowledge of a language other than English (Spanish or Hmong preferred).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)