The Sierra Nevada Research Institute (SNRI) at UC Merced (http://snri.ucmerced.edu) is seeking a full-time Assistant Specialist to work with a team at UC Merced and UC Davis to provide field engineering, laboratory and equipment fabrication support for projects assessing quantity and quality of soils, ground and surface water. This position involves both the field-measurement component of the project: i) to install and maintain spatially distributed measurement networks in the basins under study, ii) to analyze, archive and prepare data for hydrologic modeling, and iii) to maintain collaborative, working relationships with operating agencies in the study areas; fabrication of the instruments and data analysis. The field sites are in headwater basins in the Sierra Nevada, so familiarity with working and driving in snowy conditions is required. The goal of the projects is to improve knowledge about the interactions between forest management and water quality and quantity. This position will be located at UC Merced.
• Bachelor's degree in Hydrology, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Science or Engineering, or closely related field or up to five years' of equivalent experience; two years of experience in hydrology or related field sampling and instrument deployment.
• Ability to work with general guidance from principal investigator and collaborators.
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment and interact with a broad range of colleagues.
• Two years of experience in data analysis with programming and graphing ability (e.g. python, R).
• Familiarity in working in snowy conditions.
• Occasional weekends and evenings.
• Experience with ESRI’s Arc GIS and spatial data analysis.
• Experience with datalogger platforms strongly preferred.
Interested applicants are required to submit 1) a cover letter 2) curriculum vitae and 3) a list of three to five agreed references with contact information including mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address submitted through AP Recruit during the application process.
Salary is based on the University of California Academic Salary Scales. This is a full-time appointment with the possibility of renewal based on the availability of funding and satisfactory performance. Review of applications will begin immediately with a closing date of February 14, 2020.
UC Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students.
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced is committed to interdisciplinary excellence in research and teaching as well as to diversity, equity and inclusion. Ranked as one of the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (http://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
For more information, please contact Dr. Martha Conklin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)