Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Merced Library seeks a collaborative and creative professional to engage with students, faculty, and campus partners through instruction, reference, and outreach in order to support faculty research endeavors and increase students’ information literacy competencies. The Research & Outreach Librarian will be a member of the Research & Learning Services team.
Under the direction of the Head of Research & Learning Services, the Instruction & Outreach Librarian will
• collaborate with faculty, programs, and campus partners to develop students’ information literacy skills and meet research needs.
• participate as a library liaison to communicate library services to faculty, foster collaborations, and embed information literacy into curriculum.
• design and teach in-person library research instruction to equip students with information literacy skills.
• prepare and implement assessment strategies to evaluate the effectiveness of library instruction on student learning.
• create and update materials, including learning objects, in support of different modes of instruction and reference.
• provide reference services for students, faculty, and staff both in-person, and digitally.
• develop, organize, and participate in outreach events to effectively communicate and promote library services and resources.
• prepare content for library outreach and communications.
• share knowledge of teaching & learning practices with colleagues.
• serve on UC systemwide and UC Merced campus committees as appropriate.
• participate in appropriate professional-development activities.
• other duties as assigned.
• MS/MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited Library/Information Science program or equivalent experience or advanced degree in information science or related field
• A minimum of three years’ teaching experience
• Ability to independently plan, deliver, and assess instruction sessions
• Knowledge of teaching and learning practices
• Experience using technology for instructional purposes
• Demonstrates an ability to work effectively with faculty and students
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrates an ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Evidence of taking initiative and completing tasks
• Flexibility and willingness to develop new competencies
• Demonstrates a commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity
• Experience providing reference, especially digital reference
• Experience embedding information literacy into curriculum
• Familiarity with learning management systems
• Knowledge and implementation of universal design
• Bilingual (Spanish preferred)
• Social Science and/or Science subject background
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced is committed to interdisciplinary excellence in research and teaching as well as to diversity, equity and inclusion. Ranked as one of the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (https://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
The UC Merced Library meets the diverse research, teaching, and public service needs of UC Merced researchers by providing targeted, quality collections, and relevant services that effectively and efficiently support the research lifecycle of finding, using, creating, and managing information. The Library seats approximately 1000 people and is housed within the Kolligian Library building, a 100,000 square foot facility that contains multiple campus departments in addition to the library.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience based on the University of California pay scales. Appointment will be at the Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian rank with a salary in the range of $61,201 - $68,084.
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered for this position should submit the information requested: cover letter, CV, diversity statement, and a minimum of three references (names, contact information, and brief statement of relationship to the applicant).
The University of California, Merced is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, students, and staff.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service. Maximum 500 words.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)