The Sierra Nevada Research Institute (SNRI) at UC Merced (http://snri.ucmerced.edu) is seeking a full-time Associate Specialist to organize and contribute to research involving multiple field sites and studies. The candidate will be responsible for installing measurement equipment, sampling, maintaining field resources, and coordinating field measurements by multiple groups. This position will have a central role in assuring that research goals are met, and the data is informative, accurate and concise. The Associate Specialist will also be responsible for supervising undergraduate students and/or research staff.
• Master’s degree in Earth or Environmental Science, Engineering, or related field.
• Strong organizational, communication, and problem-solving skills.
• Technical skills to include 3-5 years of experience in data analysis, hydrology or relevant field sampling and instrumentation deployment.
• Record of research and publications in a relevant field.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and carry out relevant year-round research in the Sierra Nevada or other seasonally snow-covered mountain environments.
• Experience with ERSI’s, ArcGIS and spatial data.
• Instrument-tower and tree-climbing experience and safety training.
• Experience and familiarity with ecohydrological field research in the Sierra Nevada.
• River safety and mountain winter safety training, including snowmobile use.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions and may participate in University and Public Service.
Interested applicants are required to submit 1) a cover letter 2) curriculum vitae and 3) a list of three to five references with contact information including mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address submitted through AP Recruit during the application process.
Salary will be based on the University of California Academic Salary Scales. This is a full-time appointment with the possibility of renewal based on the availability of funding, and satisfactory performance. Review of applications will begin immediately; position is open until filled with a final closing date of August 30, 2019 (updated).
The University of California, Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students.
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses. With 8,500 undergraduate and graduate students (https://www.ucmerced.edu/fast-facts), UC Merced is committed to interdisciplinary excellence in research and teaching as well as to diversity, equity and inclusion. Ranked as one of the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced provides outstanding educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the heart of California, the nation, and abroad. The campus has special connections to nearby Yosemite National Park; is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design; and supports the economic development of Central California. The Merced 2020 Project doubled the physical capacity of the campus, and enhanced academic distinction, student success, and research excellence (http://merced2020.ucmerced.edu/).
For more information, please contact Dr. Roger Bales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
- 3-5 required (contact information only)