The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. UC Merced has recently opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.
Education Programs (https://extension.ucmerced.edu/tpp), housed in UC Merced Extension, provides undergraduate and graduate coursework in the field of Education. All Education Programs course content is reviewed and approved by UC Merced Academic Senate.
UC Merced Extension anticipates hiring part-time instructor positions to teach the following courses in AY2019-2020:
• Foundations of Education
• Teaching Practicum
• Clinical Practice (1-3)
• Bilingual Teaching (Spanish)
• Diverse Students - Inclusive Instruction
• Project-Based Instruction and Assessment
• Technology Supported Project Based Learning
• Secondary Reading for Understanding
• Single Subject Methods (4) English, History, Math and History
• Research Methods in Education
• Learning Cognition and Instruction
• Physical Science, Math, and Scientific Literacy
• Earth and Space Sciences, Math, and Digital Literacy
• Life Sciences, Math, and Health Literacy
• Integrated Humanities and Visual Literacy
• Integrated Humanities and Cultural Literacy
• Integrated Humanities and Global Literacy
• Sociocultural Overview of the Spanish Fluent World
Please refer to the website for full course listings and descriptions (https://extension.ucmerced.edu/programs-and-courses/programs-and-courses-educators).
Courses are taught at UC Merced’s Downtown Campus Center and/or main campus in the afternoon/evening with some students joining remotely using Zoom.
In addition to teaching the course(s), the instructor will be evaluating student work and exams, calculating and posting grades, and holding regular posted office hours each week. Instructors will have opportunities to engage in program building efforts and have an impact on the growth and development of the Teacher Preparation Program.
• A minimum of five years' experience teaching
• Experience teaching in the appropriate content area
• Graduate degree in related field
• TK-12 California clear credential and English Learner authorization or CLAD for Teacher Preparation Courses
• Knowledgeable in the California content standards (CCSS and NGSS)
• Knowledgeable in the Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs)
• Knowledgeable in the Teaching Performance Assessments (CalTPA)
• Knowledgeable in current educational theory and practice
• Knowledgeable in support strategies for English learners and students with learning needs and demonstrates these effective strategies within their own classroom
• Experience writing curriculum for college courses and/or for professional development
• Appreciation and understanding of the cultural and linguistic diversity of students and the San Joaquin Valley community
• Able to serve as a resource to candidates in developing a philosophy of education that promotes development of equitable and inclusive learning environments
• 8+ years of experience in teaching, leadership or other clinical practice in K-12 settings
• Experience as an Academic Coach or Teacher on Special Assignment in the appropriate content area
• Pedagogical expertise, strong content knowledge, and positive communication skills
• Experience with adult learners
Practitioner Faculty/Instructors are selected for their ability, commitment and dedication to communicate effectively; model effective instruction; collaborate with colleagues at the school, district, community and university level; and design and deliver curriculum using the state-adopted academic content standards.
This is a by-agreement contract position. Compensation: $3,750.00 - $5,000.00 per course, commensurate with experience and workload.
University of California, Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The University is supportive of dual career couples. Applications must be submitted via this website.
Review of applications will begin 4/30/2018 and will remain open until all positions have been filled.
Academic Year: July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
Fall Term: August 21, 2019 – December 20, 2019
Spring Term: January 14, 2020 – May 15, 2020
Summer Term: May 26, 2020 – July 2, 2020
Curriculum Vitae/Resume - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching - Include list of courses currently listed on the website for which you feel you have the qualifications. Include a list of courses previously taught, noting class size and indicating whether the applicant served as primary or secondary instructor.
Teaching Evaluations - If available
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information