The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. UC Merced has also built the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.
The postdoctoral scholar will perform research in stochastic multi-scale modeling of multi-physics problems at small scales. For processes occurring in molecular systems (e.g. mass/momentum/heat/charge transport and reactions), the researcher will derive and analyze stochastic formulations, and develop and implement numerical methods. The researcher will also be expected to take a primary role in preparing manuscripts for publication, and contribute to the collaborative research group environment.
● PhD in the fields of applied mathematics or computational science and engineering with experience in developing numerical methods and performing numerical simulations.
● Experience in molecular dynamics simulations as well as a sound understanding of continuum descriptions (i.e. PDE descriptions) and/or stochastic microscopic descriptions.
● The ability to write clearly and scientifically (e.g. to produce drafts of papers for publication in scientific journals and web-based public outreach without too much oversight).
● Strong programming skills in at least one compiled language (e.g. C/C++, Fortran) and one scripting language (e.g. python)
● Knowledge in statistical mechanics is preferred, but not required.
● Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise
Interested applicants are required to submit 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) a statement of research interests, and 4) a list of 3 reference letters. Please see below for additional reference requirements.
Scholars should arrange to have 3 letters of reference. After an application is submitted, the letters of reference should be electronically uploaded by the letter writers (instructions will be provided by the application system). Letters of reference should be received no later than 4/1/2019.
Review of applications will begin on 3/1/2019; position is filled with a final closing date of 4/1/2019.
Salary is based on the University of California Academic Salary Scales. This is a full-time, one-year appointment with the possibility of renewal based on availability of funding, ongoing operational needs and satisfactory performance.
The University of California, Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The University is supportive of dual career couples.
For more information, please contact Changho Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
- 3 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information