The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. UC Merced has recently opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.
UC Merced Extension was established in July 2015 and engages the community in transformative scholarship and creativity while fostering a culture of inquiry and discovery learning by offering superlative academic, professional and personal enrichment opportunities to meet the needs of continuing students, professionals and modern learners. Education Programs, housed in UC Merced Extension, provides undergraduate and graduate coursework in the field of Education. Education Programs curriculum and certificates are reviewed and approved by UC Merced Academic Senate.
We began by offering professional development opportunities for in-service teachers and building collaborations with educators throughout the San Joaquin Valley. We now offer an accredited Teacher Preparation Program (California multiple and single-subject preliminary credential). We additionally offer a Child Development and Care four-course series enabling students to work (alone, if needed) with infants, toddlers, preschoolers and TK-6 children in after-school educational settings. Holders are authorized to provide supervision for child care assistants and aides.
UC Merced Extension Education Programs anticipates hiring part-time instructor positions to teach the following subjects in AY 2018-2019:
Early Childhood Education
Please refer to the website for full course listings and descriptions (https://extension.ucmerced.edu/child-development).
Synchronous hybrid (in-person) course offerings are taught at UC Merced’s Downtown Campus Center in the evening. Synchronous online course offerings are also offered in the evening. Both use Canvas and Zoom.
In addition to teaching the course(s), the instructor will be evaluating student work and exams, calculating and posting grades, and holding regular posted office hours each week. Instructors will have opportunities to engage in program building efforts and have an impact on the growth and development of Education Programs.
• A minimum of five years' experience teaching (TK-16)
• Teaching experience in the appropriate content area
• Earned graduate degree in related field
• TK-12 California clear credential and English Learner authorization or CLAD (Teacher Preparation Courses)
• Knowledgeable in the California content standards (Teacher Preparation Courses)
• Knowledgeable in the Teaching Performance Expectations (Teacher Preparation Courses)
• Knowledgeable in current educational theory and practice (Teacher Preparation Courses)
• Knowledgeable in support strategies for English learners and students with learning needs and demonstrates these effective strategies within their own classroom
• Online instructional experience, knowledge of learning management systems, and Zoom
• 8+ years of experience in teaching, leadership or other clinical practice in K-12 settings
• Earned doctorate
• Original research in the appropriate content area
• Experience as an Academic Coach or Teacher on Special Assignment in the appropriate content area
• Pedagogical expertise, strong content knowledge, and positive communication skills
• Experience with adult learners
• Appreciation and understanding of the cultural and linguistic diversity of students and the San Joaquin Valley community
• Able to serve as a resource to candidates in developing a philosophy of education that promotes development of equitable and inclusive learning environments
Instructors are selected for their ability, commitment and dedication to communicate effectively; model effective instruction; collaborate with colleagues at the school, district, community and university level; and design and deliver curriculum using the state-adopted academic content standards.
This is a by agreement contract position. Compensation: $2,500 per course. Minimum enrollment is 20 students.
University of California, Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. The University is supportive of dual career couples. Applications must be submitted via this website.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will remain open until all positions have been filled.
Academic Year: July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019
Spring Semester: January 15, 2019 – May 17, 2019
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching - List of courses currently listed on the website for which you feel you have the qualifications. Include a list of courses previously taught, noting class size and indicating whether the applicant served as primary or secondary instructor.
Teaching Evaluations - If available
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information