The University of California, Merced is the newest of the University of California system’s 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With more than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities to highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus, enhancing academic distinction, student success, and research excellence. UC Merced has also built the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building in the heart of Merced.
The Subramaniam Lab at UC Merced (subramaniamlab.ucmerced.edu) is looking for a highly motivated postdoctoral scholar. The scholar will work closely with the PI and students and collaborators to develop scalable lipid vesicle platforms for use as synthetic cells and as vectors for drug delivery. The postdoctoral fellow will have the unique opportunity to work with a cellulose-paper based vesicle fabricating platform developed by the Subramaniam lab.
Typical duties are commensurate to the expectations of a postdoctoral position, which include:
- Independently planning and designing research experiments, establishing priorities and recommending schedules, time tables and costs.
- Collecting, processing and analyzing data.
- Performing statistical analyses, including selecting the appropriate analysis procedure, setting up data for analysis, judging validity and reliability of data, designing and writing programs to perform analyses, and producing written reports on the result of the analyses.
- Maintaining the microcopy and other equipment in the lab.
- Presentation of project results to internal and external parties.
- Writing of technical publications and reports.
- Supervise graduate assistants or student employees.
The candidate must meet the following qualifications:
1) Have obtained a PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Chemistry, or a related field.
2) Have demonstrable experience in at least two, preferably more, of the following areas: experience with lipids, confocal microscopy, quantitative image analysis, and soft materials. Experience with membrane proteins or cellulose is desirable.
3) Be well-versed in wet lab techniques.
4) Posses strong written and verbal communication skills.
The candidate will have extensive opportunities to mentor graduate and undergraduate students who are working on relevant projects. The appointment will initially be for 12 months with the possibility for reappointment.
Interested applicants are required to submit 1) a cover letter, 2) a short research statement, 3) a curriculum vitae and 4) a list of three references with contact information including mailing address, phone number and e-mail address; this will be submitted through the Recruit system.
Salary is based on the University of California Academic Salary Scales. Review of applications will begin immediately. Position is open until filled with a final closing date of June 15, 2019. Starting dates are negotiable. The appointment will initially be for 12 months with the possibility for reappointment, based on continuation of funding and satisfactory performance.
The University of California, Merced is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, students and staff. The University is supportive of dual career couples.
Please contact Anand Subramaniam at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
- 3 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information